Monday, January 15, 2007

Wow! Weekend Wives Unite!


Ladies - I am overwhelmed and so grateful for all of you taking the time to write in. I've been seeing the comments flood my "inbox" all day, but my "day job" was keeping me from responding.

I been longing for other women to talk to about this for a long time, so I'm thrilled that this is taking off.

First of all - thank you for all your well wishes about my infection. I'm doing so much better today. After thinking about why I got so upset yesterday about my husband being gone, I think it boils down to feeling abandoned. I can't realy fault him because I sent him away, but I was still angry with him until I had a chance to work things out in my head.

We all come from different perspectives - some of us became weekend wives AFTER we married, but others, like me, knew what we were signing up for. My husband was straight up with me when we were dating about his job. I had love goggles on and thought, hey, I'm up for it, this is the man of my dreams.

I have no regrets about marrying him, but I am only now realizing the commitment I have made.

Several of you opened up about similar experiences with health problems and home nightmares. I don't know about you guys, but I can deal (most of the time) with my husband's absense during these times. BUT what makes me upset is when it seems he doesn't realize how hard it can be. When he does recognize that his being gone puts added stress on me, I have an easier time. I guess it all comes down to acknowledgement and appreciation. We all love our men, but WE KNOW sometimes a "thank you" or "wow, you're really working hard" is few and far between.

Many of you have written in about other challenges and topics, such as children. I'm going to reorganize things on the site and create specific posts that address these topics that folks can respond to. I'll still generate daily posts (as long as I'm near a computer), but at least this will give you guys a place to gab about specific things. AND please let me know if there's something I'm not addressing.


**The cheesy picture in this post is my husband and I on a trip to Australia. That's where we got engaged a few years ago.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just thought I'd join in and say hello. I'm not a "wife" yet, but I might as well be. My boyfriend and I have been together for 7 years and living together for 3 of those. He travels every week for work, leaving on Thursday and coming home on Sunday. For a long time it was difficult because we were living away from our family. We recently moved back to our hometown and that means he'll work two weeks on and come home for a week.

Some days are better than others but it is hard to be the sole person in charge of taking care of the house and dog and all the other things. I think sometimes we are taken for granted and I know I sure don't hear "thank you" as much as I should. I'm the unlucky one because his job requires that he travel to great places (bahamas, mexico, turks, ect) and not your usual cities in the US. While I'm at home taking care of the house, he's catching Marlin in Mexico.

Katie said...

I am also not a wife, but my boyfriend travels Monday through Friday. We do not live together, and sometimes that makes it even harder to spend time together. I guess for now I am a weekend girlfriend, but hope to be a wife some day! I did know about this going into our relationship, but I guess I never knew how difficult it can be at times. Thank you very much for creating this blog!

Anonymous said...

I also wanted to offer a thank you! I'm something of a "weekend wife" three months of the year. I'm engaged to and live with an accountant, and their busy season takes him some pretty ridiculous places from January to April. Right now, for example, he's on a two week business trip out west, and after that will be in RI (we live in MA) for two weeks. This blog couldn't have come at a better time for "winter widows" like myself! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I knew what I was signing up for too - but like you - had the love goggles on & thought, 'No problem.' Just didn't realize how much more difficult things would become when I had to move away from Texas - all my friends & family. Being a lonely wife seems so much worse when your best friends aren't there to fill in the gaps. Guess this is a learning experience - and I know I'm a better person for it.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.