Monday, January 8, 2007

A Night Out


I try to schedule MY time around my husband's schedule. Today when I left for work he reminded me he had plans with a friend. So I quickly set up a happy hour with a friend. Mid-afternoon his friend cancelled and my immediate inclination was to cancel plans to spend time with him. I forced myself not to. I went out with my friend while he waited on my at home. I am so glad I did. It's so important to make time for ourselves and it feels good once in a while to let our husband's day revolve around us for a change.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly your struggle. When my husband and I first started dating I would do this all the time...cancel if his plans cancelled. I'm getting much better about this but I admit it's tough. I'm not in the exact same situation as you. My husband doesn't travel every week but maybe once a month for about a week so I can relate to some situations. I think this is a great idea!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so guilty of wanting to do the same thing. I always want to cancel my plans if his does not go thru. I dont know why it's like that, but I always have that urge. when he's gone, I cant wait to go out and be with friends. I wish I could feel that while he is here too. We always say that will happen once the "newness" wears off, but with him being gone half of our relationship, that will be a while. But that's a good thing also. catch 22

Anonymous said...

My hubby and I have been married for 5 1/2 years and have a little seven month old baby. He's about to enter the busy season for travel and I had to explain to him that if I'm the sole responsible party for the baby and household all week, that on the weekend I need some time for myself. I think that's hard for him to understand but he doesn't say much about it. If there's no balance I feel like I start to lose my own identity.