Saturday, January 13, 2007

Bracing for Time Apart

A response from SMP made me think about how we all have to prepare for extended periods of time apart. Most of the time my husband is gone for 3-4 days at a time. But there have been times that he's been gone for a week, two, even three weeks.
I always initially dread it, but I've learned to look at it as a little vacation for myself. I make sure I have plans, especially with people I'm not able to see that often because of our hectic schedule. While he's gone for those long periods, we talk every day, unless he's out of the country, and we are always bouncing emails back and forth during the day.
I find that I do okay with about a week and a half apart, but after that I start to get emotional and I really miss him.
Of course, as we all know, sometimes the "reunions" can be kind of fun so I guess that's a positive.
My husband is about to leave for nine days tomorrow. At this point, I'm kind of looking forward to it. I'm planning on writing a proposal to submit The Weekend Wives Club to women's magazines. I'm hoping that if I can get an article published, that will force book publishers to take notice.
Have a great Saturday night ladies!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. I'm not even married yet! Still have 8 months to go until then but he works offshore and is gone for 30 days and home for 15 days and it drives me crazy. I'm starting to handle it better now but i truly miss him like crazy when he is gone. It does make our time together a lot more special though.

kris_maree1006 said...

I know how you feel. I'm not even married yet! Still have 8 months to go until then but he works offshore and is gone for 30 days and home for 15 days and it drives me crazy. I'm starting to handle it better now but i truly miss him like crazy when he is gone. It does make our time together a lot more special though.

Anonymous said...

GREAT blog - I'm impressed!! It does feel nice to know that other women face the same thing. My husband travels regularly - but his trips are usually four weeks at a time. At most, we might see each other 1 of those weekends. We've only been married for 3 months. I moved here to Florida in March 2006 - and so far we've been through 2 major trips. The first one I went home - but then I found a job. The second trip was much harder. He was gone for a month - and I really think it'd be easier if I was around friends/family. I'm just lonely when he's gone. I need to get better about finding a routine for me & getting goals accomplished. Thanks for setting this up :)

peachga said...

My fiance leaves for 2 weeks on Sunday. It can be a difficult planning a wedding and maintaining a relationship when he is gone. I am glad I am strong enough to handle the time apart. I will miss him like crazy though. I think I might treat myself to some retail therapy! :)!!