Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Girl Time!

Tonight I stepped out of my normal weekday routine and hosted a girls night at my house. I've known all of these girls for a while, either through my husband or work and we maintain a phone and email friendship, but rarely do we make time to just hang out during the week. You know how it is, we get bogged down by responsibility and trying to hold the household together while our husbands are away.
It was awesome. We laughed and giggled like it was a slumber party for a bunch of 30 somethings. It was a great release, but also great to share stories of what life is like when our husbands are away. Two of the other women are also weekend wives, and it was great to share with them. I know them through firm events and this is the first time we've done things without our husbands.
Isn't it funny how we meet other weekend wives often through our husband's work events, but rarely do we reach out to eachother. This blog is a great start, but I encourage everyone to step out of their comfort zone and reach out to other weekend wives they know nearby.
Many of you have been so good to write in and share that you feel lonely because you're in a new city with no family and few of your close friends. It's hard. I remember when I first moved to Philly I basically volunteered to work any hours during the week because it made them time go faster and before I knew it Thursday night was here and USAir was finally bringing my husband home for the weekend. It's taken me about two years to establish a social group. So many of my friends have husbands who are home during the week, and many of them wouldn't dare make regular plans that didn't include their men. It's almost like I was driven to make friends with other single women, which is fun, but they don't have exactly the same interests all the time as I do.
So I hope tonight was the start of a regular tradition. It was a boost for my week and my husband was blown away tonight when he called at 10pm and I couldn't talk because I still had company. :)

4 comments:

smp said...

Good for you, ww!

It is important to have people and things to occupy us while our hubbies are away -- That way we are happier and more fulfilled when we are apart AND when we are back together...

Enjoy ~
smp

Wicked M said...

Glad to have found your site. I came here through theknot.com. I've recently moved to a new city with my husband (who travels Monday through Friday nearly every week). It is a lonely existence sometimes, so I hope this community will help me feel more connected to women in the same or similar situations.

Great job on organizing this!

Amanda

Eileen said...

I have been married for 17 years and my husband travels for two-three months at a time. I have connected to a group of girls and we have girl weekends in which we rent a suite in Philadelphia or New Hope and party. Mostly drink and eat. We also do Pocono weekends three times a year. These are times that I look forward to. Lots of laughs and good memories. I miss my husband but feel very liberated. I think there is a positive side to this and it is being able to do what you want, when you want. I feel like I am 19 again. Be creative and find new things to do, it can be an awesome ride!!

Weekend Wife said...

Eileen - Your girls weekends sound great. It's so nice to build a network of women in similar situations, or just women who are more independent than others. It's tough to find sometimes, so many of my married friends are so into seeing their husband that it's hard to build time in with them.