Sunday, April 15, 2007

When it rains it pours!

Literally. We had such a nice relaxing day yesterday but this morning we had a rude awakening. We woke up to find water in our basement. It's the first time it's been a problem, but it is raining like crazy here so I guess the ground is just overloaded. It was a very stressful day to say the least. Up until now my husband and I have lived in condos so we've always had someone to call when something is wrong - now we're on our own.
We quickly learned just how important a shopvac can be and we've vaccuumed about 100 gallons out of the basement so far. But the rest is all me - my husband had to fly out tonight for a very important meeting he couldn't miss. He made sure I had what I needed - but tonight in between commercials during Desperate Housewives - I'll be vacuuming water out of the basement - by myself. That is one of the things that SUCKS about being a weekend wife!

By the way, SMP inquired about my friend with twins. She's doing great. She just made it to 32 weeks. Full term is 36 for someone with twins so things are looking great. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I'll be sure to post pics of the twins when they're born.

5 comments:

smp said...

That sucks, WW -- You get to be a "desperate housewife" tonight... Yes, Shopvacs are invaluable but, luckily, when we had a couple of flooding basement issues when we lived in Philly, JCP was always there to do the dirty work... Sorry you have to be a big girl on this one -- Hang in!
SMP

smp said...

P.S. Great news about your friend and her babies...! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow Steph, I feel your pain!
Things always happened or broke when my husband was away. There was the water heater, the garbage disposal, the car. Oh, the best was the garage door opener while my car was inside! It seems like nothing ever happens when he is here, but when it does, he acts like he is superhuman and "My hero"!

Sorry to hear about the wet basement. I know what a mess that can be! Good luck!

Emily Ann said...

Wow, I just stubbled across your post about this group on theknot.com. I am SO glad to know I'm not alone.
My fiance works for a utitily company and also leaves Sunday afternoon, returning late on Thursdays or Friday mornings.
I also feel your pain about bad things happening when you are home alone. However, mine always involve wild animals getting in the house. We live in the country and I've had episodes with everything from spiders and frogs to mice and snakes!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that this is still up first; I have to tell you what happened.

So, remember I said that things always happen when DH is away?

This time, my washer started leaking when he came home and began doing his laundry (Yes, he does his own. So why am I complaining, right? Well, that's another story!). So rather than his usual, "call someone or wait til I get home", he said "let's go buy a new one"!

Things worked out well because I am now the thrilled owner of one of those new stacking washer/dryer sets that do everything except fold and put away the clothes! I mean this thing even dispenses the right amount of detergent for the weight of the load!

I just had to share because I thought it was rather "funny" that men can say I'll take care of it when I get home but when push comes to shove, they, too, can come up with a much better plan!