Wednesday, March 14, 2007

God Bless You with Children

For the past week our two godchildren have been visiting us with their parents. I love them both dearly and they are both very well behaved ... BUT even with that, it is so challenging to have children in the house.

This is not a surprise to me. I knew children would be a lot of work, but the reality of someone needing you 24/7 really wears you out. I'm sure those of you with children are chuckling at this ... this is a fact you have long known. But for someone like me who is used to only taking care of herself during the week ... it's a shock to the system.

Even with this - I can't wait 'til we have children. But I realize this week how hard it will be with my husband on the road. There is no one around to give you a break. There's no one to say, "here - I'll give them a bath tonight."

My question is ... HOW DO YOU DO IT???? Please help us poor souls who are either approaching motherhood or who just found it! I can't imagine how you squeeze everything into a day and maintain your sanity!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess it's up to me??

First of all(and I know that this is probably not the norm, nor will it parallel most of your situations), I was a SAHM.
That said, it was not necessarily any easier because of being a "single parent without benefits".

There were times when I didn't think I would survive it, but I think it was because of other circumstances; not because of being a weekend wife. (I hated where we lived.) I had plenty to keep me busy and I was never lonely. In fact, I rather enjoyed my alone time after the kids were in bed. Once a week, I looked forward to having a nice steak with mushrooms, salad, and glass (or 2) of wine, alone, in front of the TV (Dynasty was my show of choice back then).

I guess I am the oddity; I loved being a SAHM. In fact, that is all I ever wanted to be. So, I never looked at being a weekend wife with kids, a bad thing. Kids keep you so busy, there isn't time to get lonely.

I might add that my husband would be gone, sometimes, 2-3 weeks at a time. So weekends were actually, sometimes the most difficult!